Monday 29 October 2012

Pointillism

Since I was a wee lass, I've had a thing for pointillism. I read about it in a book. The big book of "Things Your Parents Have No Time to do With You". . ..I think it was formally titled "365 Fun Things to do With Your Kids". All bitterness aside, this book had some pretty neat (and some very lame) activities, many of which I inflicted upon my younger sister.

Off topic. One of the activities in this book was teaching your kid about pointillism (a style of drawing in which you create an image using only dots), and having them attempt it for kicks and giggles. I was fascinated by the artistic form, but I've never been very good at it. I can do a mean pointillism tree. I can sorta do a face (though its less pointillism and more sloppy-dash-illism). Maybe someday I'll dig up and post for you some of my attempts. Cuz I know you're all SOOPER interested.

But in the meantime, let me post some examples from the master of pointillism himself: Georges Seurat (who may or may not have made it into this blog before. I don't know. Sometimes I get the feeling that my interests have become so narrow that I'm repeating myself. Sometimes I get the feeling that my interests have become so narrow that I'm repeating myself.) I first encountered this fella in my undergraduate Art History class, and promptly stuck the blame for my obsession with pointillism on him, and his pretty, dreamy pastel pictures.

The Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, 1884–1886, at The Art Institute of Chicago
And these other two which I don't have the titles for, but which the internet credits to Seurat and which I like:



No comments:

Post a Comment