Saturday 11 August 2012

sunnyside up sponge cake


So, this cake was half accident, half boredom, and 100% delicious.



for the cake: 


2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Salt
1 c. milk
1 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla
First beat eggs and sugar until very fluffy and then add flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla and beat. Bring butter and milk to a scald and mix with other ingredients, don't beat too much. Will be a thin batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

for the filling: I used apricot jam, because its what I had

for the glaze:

one cup sugar
four tablespoons lemon juice
dash vanilla

mix altogether until you have something that is thick, but still pourable, and tastes good, and dump it on top. Aww yeah. 

Now for the accident: I decided to balance out the apricot filling by putting a dollop of apricot on top. What I came out with was something that looked like a sunny side up egg. I completed my insanity by garnishing with glazed crumbs, and sprinkling lightly with powdered cocoa. 




1 comment: