Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Hungry Thing


Was thinking today of what my favorite "monster" book was as a child, and The Hungry Thing by Jan Slepian and Ann Seidler came to mind. Its the story of this gluttonous monster with a speaking impediment who strolls into town and asks for things like "Gollypops" instead of "Lollipops", and generally causes good-natured confusion and befuddlement in the townspeople, save for one little boy who comes to act as interpreter in the quest to feed the bottomless pit on legs. (synopsis in a sentence). Now that I think about it, this critter is like a less creepy version of the gooey Noh monster in Spirited away. 


Did anyone else read this book as a child? What were your favorite childhood monsters? I think I mostly liked this book for the same reason I liked the Redwall books a little later on . . .for the food. . .

STFU I like to eat! 


No comments:

Post a Comment