Sunday 13 May 2012

Canadian/History Major Derp

So! I learned something new today . . .a term with which I was entirely unfamiliar in the context of Canadian history and politics: the viceregal.

The viceregal is, apparently, the term for the consort of the Governor General of Canada. This person assists in ceremonial and charitable works, acts as arm candy for the gov. general, and also serves as the Chatelaine of Rideau hall.

Looking up information on the viceregal in Canada inevitably led me to the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viceregal_consort_of_Canada

This page contains a list of all of the viceregals from 1627 to present. Here's where my real derp moment came in: I was surprised to see so many titles of aristocracy on the list. Ladies, and duchesses, and princesses, oh my! It had never occurred to me that the title of "governor general", and by association the person he would be married to, would have been historically tied to the nobility, or would have at least led to the acquisition of some sort of title.

Oh the things I miss.

Anyway, just for kicks, here's a likkle gallery of some of the gov's general and viceregals:

Earl and Countess of Bessborough, 1930's
(tangential derp: Bessborough Hotel in Saskatoon -- it never occurred to me to wonder who it was named after)

Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone,
who was a leader in the women's
war efforts, WWII

Madame Pierre de Rigaud de Vaudreuil, first

Canadian born viceregal, of New France, late18th c.

Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll, 1901.
An unhappy viceregal who disliked Canada \o/
I'm finding the stories behind these people I knew nothing about to be very interesting. Must. Learn. More.

Derp.

No comments:

Post a Comment