Sunday 26 February 2012

Sweet sweet pink. . .Coleslaw. . ..

I like to make myself something a little special on Sundays, because the rest of the week I subsist pretty much entirely on sandwiches and rice. Today's experiment in the kitchen was to make coleslaw, based on a (modified) recipe from a little book of "country kitchen" recipes I got in my stocking last year. I have never worked with cabbage before, so I did what any sane person would do, and bought the obnoxiously purple and slightly cheaper one.

Here's the recipe and my rough translations:

3 cups cabbage (in steviese, 3 cups was downgraded to roughly a "schwack")
2 cups apples, thinly sliced (or, an apple)
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice (I love lemon juice! *two hearty shakes*)
1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt (half a cup is about half the container of sour cream, right?)
2 teaspoons honey (mmm. . .honey. . .*throws in a tablespoon)
1 tablespoon vinegar (but all I have is white wine vinegar. . .that works, amirite?)
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard (SHIT, that sounds important! better measure that)
1/2 teaspoon salt (damn shaker is clogged. . .meh)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (love me some pepper!)
2 tablespoons of onion (this was my own addition, to give it some punch)

Directions: Shred cabbage, and combine with apples. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Hmm. . .what does "shred" mean in regards to cabbage? *hacks at it madly with a knife until bits are uneven but roughly chewable.*
In a small bowl, combine everything else for dressing, then toss cabbage and apples in dressing. 
Sounds like I botched the recipe pretty good, right? Wrong! It came out with a very light pleasant, sweet taste, nicely complimented by the addition of the onions. While not overwhelming, the sweetness worked well with the pink of the cabbage, making the dish almost . . .ladylike?

So I made a grilled cheese and ham sammich to balance that pink shit out.

et voila! 

3 comments:

  1. I don't like coleslaw but I like that you like it! :) It is very cheap, so I should like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love me some coleslaw. . .no idea why. I only don't like it if its overdressed, which is why I drastically reduced the amount of sour cream in this.

    ReplyDelete