Sunday 20 March 2011

Inappropriate Humor

So, I watched the Comedy Central Roast of Donald Trump today. I'm a huge fan of stand up comedy, so the Roast every year is a huge treat for me.

I have been watching Roasts for years. Whether it be the reruns of the old Friar's Roasts during the Rat Pack Days, or the Comedy Central revisitation in the past 12 years, I'm a huge fan of insulting the people you love. It's all done in the best fun, and to me it signifies the most sincere form of friendship -- I only insult those who mean enough to me to expend the effort on.

The Modern Roasts continue to get more inappropriate, with each passing year. Just when I think it can't get any worse, they shock me. That's not a bad thing either! Pushing the limits is the foundation of any good comedy routine, and there are a handful of people who push the limits every time they step on a stage.

This years Roast was hosted by Seth MacFarlane, the genius behind Family Guy. While he's funny, and his opening monologue was funny, he just doesn't seem to have the chutzpah (nod to the many funny Jews in the stand up business) to really knock it out of the park. I'll take some time now to really highlight my favorites of the night.

The first Roaster, was Lisa Lampanelli. Dear Sweet Howard, this woman is brutal. I love insult comics, and she takes the art form to near divine levels. I've never seen any of her work that I wasn't just crazy about, and this is no exception.



Whitney Cummings was there, and for those of you who aren't familiar with her, she is a new and rising star in the comedy world. I laugh my ass off every time I see her, and I can't wait see what she's going to do next.


Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino was there too. Watching him was like beating off with a cheese grater. You think it's going to be alright, but it just turns out to be painful. The only funny part of his bit, was when Jeff Ross attempted to save his ass.

Which brings me to, former Roastmaster General, Jeff Ross.

Holy Shit. That's all I can say. Holy Shit. This guy knows where the boundaries are, and blows past them like a funny car driver on crack. I love me some Jeff Ross.



Other notables:

Snoop was there, and the man has an unbelievable natural talent for comedy.

Marlee Matlin, the only deaf woman to win an Oscar, was there, and holy shit she was funny. -- which brings me to Gilbert Gottfried.

I'll leave it up to you to watch the Roast, and get the details, but lets just say that Marlee and Gilbert ended up on stage together. When he said, "As a developer, Donald Trump has done so much damage to the New York skyline, instead of calling him 'The Donald', they should call him the 20th Hijacker," I almost shat myself.

Even Jeff Ross screamed out "TOO SOON!"

Some other gems.

"This year the comedy world took a blow, when it lost Greg Giraldo. Even worse, it kept Jeff Ross"

Directed at Larry King, who was on the dias for some reason: "Larry King is so old, that he's actually one of the jews that killed Christ!"

Snoop Dogg, in regards to Marlee Matlin: "I walked past Marlee's dressing room tonight while she was going over her lines, and it sounded like someone was clubbing a seal."

Snooop in regards to Jeff Ross: "Look at Jeff Ross. He's one ugly mother fucker . . . look at his droopy face, saggy skin, rubbery wet lips. If he had a string hanging from his mouth, he'd look like Lisa's pussy."

Inappropriate humor seems to be on the rise, and I'm glad that society in general seems to take it in the vein that it's intended. We'd all be a lot happier if we just laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment